Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Wednesday, June 18
Monday we went to the coast to spend the day. It was a little cool, about 56 with a strong north wind OK, maybe it was cold. We visited the largest sea lion cave (which smelled like sea lion crap) and saw a great lighthouse. Stephen spent alot of time walking on the beach and found a bunch of star fish. He managed to pry one of them off a rock, it is now on my porch drying out. I am not sure how long this will take but in the mean time I have stayed off the porch due to the smell.
I got the guys on the plane yesterday to head back to Texas and spent the rest of the day just finding my way around town. I am getting better at navigating but still have to make a few u-turns on occasion.
I spent my first night alone last night and I was OK. Did not sleep very well due to the fact I sleep with my windows open (don't worry I live on the 2nd floor) and my neighbors were a little noisy when they were leaving this am. My neighbor downstairs works in the logging industry and goes to work at 3am. I guess one of the other neighbors goes in about 5am because I was again awakened by and a car leaving. Well, I guess I will either get used to it or get a fan, we will see.
Well today was my first day at the new job. I started out in orientation and I was the only one in the class so things went very fast. I did not have to hear the junk that did not apply to the OR. I was finished by about 1130 and returned to the unit. I spent the remainder of today and the week to learn the computer charting and finding all the necessities in the unit. We will have a locum surgeon starting on Monday so we should have have some cases by the end of next week. The new permanent surgeon starts mid July so we will be busy learning his ways and quirks, but I am excited about getting started with some cases.
Well enough news for now. Update ya'll later.
Miss ya'll,
Traci

1 comment:

annieSonshine said...

the coast must have been pretty and a good contrast to the grand canyon. those little starfish look like little people laying there on those rocks.
i am glad that the orientation didn't drag on too long. did you meet anyone in surgery that you hit it off with?
i hope you will find a church to attend there - so you will have family with a similar background - the OR is so different than that.
i miss you already so much. i wonder if we could have a regular night to check in with each other. of course, we can talk or email anytime that we are loney or have a prayer request. maybe we can study the same scriptures and/or read the same book, etc. so we will have something else to discuss besides just work. let me know what you think.
i am enjoying your blog. i am going to try and get mine going. (annieSonshine.blogspot.com)
xxoo,
Anne